Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Bulletin Board Revamp

Look carefully.  What do you see?  I see a super fun, gorgeous, and chevron-inspired bulletin board!  I recently moved my entire classroom layout around, and where my teacher desk now is, I had nowhere to hang important memos (besides in the newly built/painted wall).  I was going to relocate the board that was by my old desk space, but it was way too big to fit this smaller wall.  Sooo, I asked my mother if she still had any of our old cork-style bulletin boards from when my brother and I were in high school.  She came through like a champ, and saved me the $$$ and time of searching for a new one.  Thanks mom, for hoarding crap from our childhood storing important things away!
After measuring, I set out for the nearest local fabric store, and found EXACTLY what I was looking for!  (How often does that happen?)  I loved the neutral slate and basic grays!  In fact, they match great with the two bookshelves I repainted for my classroom!  And, with the curtains I'm in the process of finishing!  I love when a plan comes together!  (Now all I need is perfect incoming kiddos.....)
After finding fabric, I bought some silver tacks (in office supplies), and set to work.  I ironed the fabric, then laid it out to make the strips even.  Then, I started adding tacks and stretching the fabric as I went.  After I had every other tack in, I made a second round of tacks between the first, just for good measure.  When I was sure I was done adding tacks, I turned the board over, and used my trusty staple gun to secure the fabric to the back of the frame, as I pulled the fabric tighter (not too tight, or you could pop out your tacks).  Finally, I added eye hooks to the back, and hung by a wire in the back.  I also thought it needed a pop of color, so I used my hot glue gun to glue the giant green daisy to a tack, then stuck it in the corner.  ~Hoppy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment