Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cake Balls!

Chocolate Cake Balls with peppermint drizzle

Yes, you read the title right!  Thanks to my friend, Margaret, I have found a new recipe: Cake Balls!!!  I'm not lying when I tell you that Margaret's balls saved me a few days ago when I was having an extra rough day with the kindergartners!!!  They were totally wound up and challenging my last nerves.  Margaret surprised me with a bag of balls, and I survived the day by eating almost every single one!  THANK YOU, MARGARET!!! YOU'RE THE BEST!!!! 



Crumbled white cake

If you're in a pinch and need something easy, THIS is it!  Here's the basic recipe:

*Bake any flavor of cake mix & allow to cool.
*Crumble up the entire cake in a bowl.
*Add around 3/4 cup of frosting (I used Betty Crocker vanilla, but you could make your own). 
*Here's the fun part----Use your hands to mix/mush the cake and frosting together so it's evenly distributed.
Ready for the freezer!
*Once all the cake and frosting are mixed, start rolling balls from the mixture (I made balls between a nickel & quarter circumference).
*Lay balls on a cookie sheet lined with wax or parchment paper. 
*Freeze balls for approximately 20 minutes.
*Melt cocoa candy melts in microwave, per instructions on bag (I used Wilton Candy Melts and it took around 2 min.)
*Use fork or candy dipping tools to help coat balls and set back on parchment/wax paper to set.



Dipping in chocolate!
You are done!!! :o)  I told you it was easy!!!  If you want an extra fancy look, drizzle cake balls with a contrasting color of candy melt or add sprinkles while it's still wet!  I found peppermint/candy cane candy melts, and drizzled over some of mine! 
These are great to package up and give to friends or family!  I found that one cake mix made approximately 60-70 balls (depending on the size).  This is also a great activity to do with your children! They would LOVE the messy-squishy part!  ~Hoppy Crafting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment