Friday, July 27, 2012

Happy Birthday, Bro!

I made this birthday card for my brother!  It was another good reason to use the Stampin' Up set "The Open Sea", which I am IN. LOVE. WITH!!!!  I found the background paper from Imaginisce and loved the travel/vintage/masculine look.  I wrapped that with some Denim Twine from The Twinery, and layered it onto a SU Basic Gray base. 
Next, I cut Spellbinders Reverse Wonky Rectangles (S4-307) in three sizes, out of SU Crumb Cake, SU Marina Mist, and White.  I stamped the Crumb Cake layer with the captian's log, in Staz-on Black.  Next, I took the Marina Mist layer, and stamped the globe all over it in Black, also.  Finally, I took the white layer and stamped the ship on it in Staz-On Black.  I swiped the sizes of the layers on the ink pads to add dimension, then I got out my SU blender pen.  I used the blender pen to pick up ink from the ink pad lids, and shade/watercolor the ship and water.  I used Poppy Parade, Soft Suede, and Crumb Cake on the picture.  For the "stormy/cloudy" sky, I used a sponge with some SU Basic Gray. 
If you've never used the blender pen, they're SUPER easy!!!  I like to carefully squish the lid of my ink pads into the top before opening, then you have a palette of color to work with.  You cold also use a drop of reinker in the lid.  Carefully dip you pen into the color, and, Voila!  You essentially have a paintbrush, without all the mess!  Cleanup is easy, too!  Just use a scrap piece of paper and swipe your blender pen on it until it runs clean.  Easy-peasy, and look at the effect!  You'll look like a watercolor master!  :o)  ~Hoppy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment